Ask UC: What Does No Poo Mean?





"What exactly does does No Poo mean?" ~Sherry


"No Poo" is cleansing the hair without using traditional shampoos. By no means does it mean to stop cleansing the hair or scalp, instead advocates using for natural cleansers like baking soda, Apple Cider Vinegar or a No Poo cleanser.

Traditional shampoos strip hair of natural oils. Doing this over a period of time can lead to dryness and ultimately breakage. The No Poo method cleans scalp using gentle cleansers such as baking soda or vinegar allowing natural oil balance. This usually eliminates the problems of dry hair.
Here's how to No Poo:
Fill 1/4 of a water bottle with Apple Cider Vinegar (can use regular vinegar), then fill the rest with water
Optional: add a few drops of essential oil like lavender
Saturate hair with the solution and gently rub throughout scalp and hair
Rinse
Condition as usual
5 Responses:

I just recently tried cleansing my scalp and hair with ACV (apple cider vinegar) and was pleasantly surprised at how good it gets the job done w/o drying your hair out. I use the same recipe you do but I use peppermint oil instead. I'm in luv!


No poo! Saved my hair! i love the idea. I wash with real shampoo like once a month! my dryness has dissapeared as a result of no poo.


dont forget that there is an actual product called no poo by devacurl. . they also have a low poo . .


I haven't tried the ACV but I did cut back on the shampooing. I usually co-wash or no poo 2x's a week and then shampoo like tamika t once a month.

I definitely notice the difference and I am glad that switched over.

UC...you should be proud of me! I am slowly transitioning to finger combing after I wash my hair! Results, more defined curls...YAAY!


I do the no poo method, primarily washing with conditioner and doing the acv or baking soda rinse if needed. I'm amazed my hair breaks so easily so I've had a TWA for the longest without trying mind you:) So I'm hopeful that my hair will grow to a length I desire. Doesn't have to be very long, but I'd like it to be fuller for more style options. Now I just have to break the habit of picking at my curls love the way they feel!!:)


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments