Problems and Solutions: Pomade Acne?

Recently, I noticed an annoying bump on the side of hairline and knew it had to be associated with some product that I put in my hair. As it is not uncommon to get these bumps, I strugged it off and moved on. However, while searching on information on pomade because I tried Ouidad's Clear Control Pomade recently and I found that there is a condition called Pomade Acne. Who would've known? Now, let me clear this up, Ouidad's Pomade did not give me that acne bump, it was there at least a week before I used the product. But, I wanted to talk about this condition because it is one that it so common amongst young women and one that I am seeing more frequently now that my hair is natural.

WHAT IS POMADE ACNE?

If a hair style involves straightening curly hair or molding the hair into shape, a thick, oily dressing called pomade is applied to facilitate this. Where the pomade comes into contact with the skin, acne can occur. This is commonly on the scalp, forehead and temples. The heavy oil of the pomade can clog pores and start the formation of acne lesions. At the same time, other chemicals in the pomade may irritate the skin and lead to inflammation. (buzzle.com)

HOW TO CURE POMADE ACNE?

1. If the pomade is being used to moisturize the scalp, its' application should begin one inch behind the hairline, in a effort to keep it off the facial skin.

2. If it's being used to style hair or make it more manageable, it should be applied solely to the ends of the hair, again avoiding the scalp and skin.

3. If all else fails, the use of pomade will have to be discontinued. Usually, once the pomade is no longer getting onto the skin or its use is stopped, pomade acne should clear on its own. It if doesn't, it can be treated just like any other acne.

The skin should be gently cleansed using a topical preparation such as benzyl peroxide. If the acne still hasn't cleared after 6-8 weeks, the person should see a dermatologist for advice. (buzzle.com)

So ladies, knowing this we should revisit how we use pomade. Remember, apply pomade at least 1" away from the hair line, so it may be wise to find alternatives like 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel to slick down the sides of the hairline.
3 Responses:

This happens to me alot and I try to keep my hair in a set style like comb coils since its away from my face. So far my face is clearing up nicely. I didn't know its called pomade acne, it puzzled me everytime I would do my hair, whether using coconut oil or olive oil gel, these little pimples would just appear on the temples and side of my face. Its annoying and there are definitely products that I'm going to discontinue. Thank you for posting about this, it answered alot of questions.


've had this issued badly in the last month, to the point to where someone asked me how old I was. I've been using this styling product called LIV, and two strand twisting. Well, I've just decided to take a break from the curly style and just press/flat iron my hair for a while. We'll see how it works out.


Hi there ladies,
acne caused by topical products is simply acne. "Pomade" acne is not technically a derma term, so I wouldn't want you to have misinformation. Acne around the hairline has long been associated to product build up, or debris that embeds into the skin's pores. And anything that can clog the pores will lead to acne.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments