Conventional Wisdom


As I look back over the past 10 months that I've been blogging, I smile when I think about what I've accomplished. No, I am not the number one blog. I haven't quit my day job. I've gained wisdom. Not only have I gained wisdom, I've accomplished the goal of reaching out and sharing that wisdom. That is what feeds my motivation to keep pushing forward into this new year.

When I first embarked on this journey, I thought I knew some things about hair. Everything, definitely not, but I knew a thing or two. However, I never thought that I would learn as much as I've learned over these months. The most important thing that I've learned that you're hair is only as healthy as you are. So, if you take care of your body from the inside, it will return the favor. Drinking plenty of water and eating healthy foods will give your hair the internally nourishment to remain strong and moisturized. The healthier you are on the inside the less you will have to rely on products to do the external work for your hair.

I've also learned that moisture is the optimum key to growth. Moisture does not grow the hair, but protects hair. Properly moisturized hair will prevent dryness, brittleness, and thus breakage-this lead to growth. Moisture + Length =Growth

Less styling is more. We have been accustomed to overstyling hair, from tight ponytails, braids, or many twisted styles. These styling methods can apply stress to the hair and cause the hair to break. So, opt for soft and protective styles that won't stress the hair.

I can go on and on about the many things I've learned, but I will leave it there, so you can share the conventional wisdom you have. What have you learned about hair?
5 Responses:

Oh wow I didn't realize you'd only been blogging for 10 months! I'm right behind you- it's been about 9 months for me. I can relate to everything that you're saying. Prior to starting my own blog I used to read everyone elses and then one day I realized, HEY, I can do this myself. Like you, I knew a few things, and since then I've learned so much more. Not only have I learned more about hair and makeup- I've learned a few life lessons as well. It's also motivated me to do more w/ my writing. Writing is what really keeps me going.


Since being natural, I've learned to not only accept my hair 100%, but to also appreciate it. My hair is different from others, and that's something I love. I've also learned what maybe good for another woman's hair isn't always good for my hair, so I need to do my own research in conjunction with obtaining information from others.


Nice post :o)

I haven't been blogging as long as you have - or at least not keeping up with my blog as long, but I have also learned some interesting things. I agree with the moisture and being healthy part also.

From reading all sorts of natural hair blogs I've learned that there is not one product that works for everybody including the 'natural' ones - this came as a bit of a surprise to me - for instance I couldn't have imagined not everyone being able to use coconut oil or shea butter etc...


I started reading you blog about 7 months ago, this was even before I went natural. I was looking for tips on dealing with my daughter's hair type. when I finally made the switch you words gave me a lot of support. thank you.


What have I learned about my hair?

Patience, love and understanding is what has assisted me in moving forward on my natural journey.

Sometimes I wake up in the mornings, take my satin bonnet and say, "Lord, why in the world did I decide to go natural?" Then I begin to style my hair, a little leave in conditioner and shea butter and voila!

I remember, I decided to go natural in order to externally express my connection to something different...

.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments