No Lye

Tags:
Tshirts @ razzle.com


In just one week, I lost two of my dear friends to relaxers. Man, was I devastasted. Partly because I know that it is possible to get bone straight hair without relaxing. Also because I've been in that position and in the end it will only be a step backwards.

Let's face it, by now we all know that natural hair is healthier and the key to longer hair. We know that relaxers can be very damaging and probably the main reason that 90% of African American women (girls) are unable to grow their hair past their shoulders. I've only grown my hair past my shoulders three times in my life and I was natural everytime. Yes, I know that there are a small percentage of women who can accomplish growing their hair with a relaxer, but let's be honest, that percentage is relatively small. So knowing this why do we continue to desire a relaxer? I don't get!

Do me one favor, if you are facing the breaking point and thinking about a relaxer-talk with someone who is natural; try a different style, heck-get a blowout-just don't relax. Or if you know someone on the brink of relaxing, talk to them about the other options and emphasize the benefits of natural hair. We are all in this together and must do our part to support and look out for oneanother.
5 Responses:

I agree with you. I'm going around preaching the goodness of going natural to anyone willing to listen... I get ohh response because they say "wow, your hair is growing" Well I tried to get my mother to stay natural but she just love the jurly curl.. which gives her more curls..


FACTS ABOUT RELAXERS:
Hair breakage, hair thinning, lack of hair growth, scalp irritation, scalp damage, hair loss. These are just some of the complaints from many who experience problems due to the use of chemical hair relaxers. -- Garrett Augustus Morgan and he was born the seventh of eleven children of former slaves. He is best known for his invention of the automatic traffic signal and gas mask. But it was around 1910 that he stumbled upon what would become his contribution to the hair care products industry. While working in a sewing machine repair shop attempting to invent a new lubricating liquid for the machine needle, it is widely believed that Morgan wiped his hands on a wool cloth, returned the next day, found the woolly texture of the cloth had “smoothed out”, and set out to find how the liquid chemical had changed the texture as it had. He experimented on an Airedale dog, known for their curly textured hair, and the effect was successfully duplicated. --
Sodium Hydroxide is the strongest type of principal chemical used in some chemical relaxers because it provides the most long lasting and dramatic effects. However, this same sodium hydroxide is found in drain cleaners which well demonstrates the strength of this chemical. This process which produces the desired effect of “straighter” hair at the same time leaves hair weak and extremely susceptible to breaking and further damage. One must keep in mind that relaxers do not help the hair, but actually strip it.
Do Not Give In To The Creamy Crack!


This post is so timely! Thanks because I was seriously at m wits end..I bought a relaxer but took it back b/c I couldn't go through with it.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments