Problems and Solutions: Curly Fro/Dual Textures


"Hello! My name is Jessika, I'm 22, and I want a BIG curly fro. But everytime I try to do it...it is a hot, dry, frizzy mess. The last time I tried to achieve this look, I twisted the hair and used flexi-rods. It did not work well. My hair was more crinkly than curly. I used an olive oil and lanolin pomade, light spritz for hold, and Fantasia frizz buster. I think all this may have weighed it down a bit because it did not last for the day. It fell midway through.

I have also tried using perm rods and foam rollers, both result in curls that stick to my head. I have good length, a little bit above my bra in the back, but I can't get my hair to do what I say! It either falls (twists and rollers) or sticks (perm rods or foam rollers).

Still another problem...
My hair is two different textures. This becomes obvious, very obvious, when I wash my hair. If I were to part my hair down the middle, one side would be crinkly and the other would be fairly tightly coiled. The coiled side does great with the curly fro, but the other side, not so much. I've never had a perm, only kitchen press and curls, so this may be a matter of genetics, but how can I deal with it?

I'M SO FRUSTRATED WITH MY HAIR!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!"


Jessica,

I understand your frustration-you're not alone. My inbox is full of Curly Fro questions and I know from first hand experience, getting this style down to a science can be a bit of challenge. I have also experienced crinkled results when trying this style. So here are a few tips to help you get over this hump.

First thing, observe your base. Make sure your hair is dry and free of crinkles before you start twisting. If necessary, lightly blow the hair straight-just enough to get the crinkles out of the hair-It does not have to be bone straight. I find this style works best on dry hair, but many find success with wet hair. So sample this style both ways to find what works best for your hair type.

Secondly, product is key. I find that I have more success with a moisture-based styling product (Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In) or a light gel product (Ouidad's Humidity Control Gel). The key is to use a styling product that will provide a light hold but does not make the hair hard. Setting lotion may also be a good option.

Another very important component to this style is the twist-I find that I am able to achieve a better result when I leave 1/4 inch of the ends untwisted. Then roll with the yellow flexi-rod or straws. I recommend the smaller flexi-rods because this hair style is going to settle as the day progresses. So if you use big rollers or sponge rollers, you risk the chance of the curls falling faster or turning into a puff (as another reader suggests). However, embrace the fact that this style is going to blossom like a flower during the day. So the tighter the curls begin the better results you will have after after it settles. The irony is that I completely love this style by the end of the day.

To combat, frizz-don't over manipulate the hair. Using the fingers, lightly separate each curl into approximately 4 smaller sections. Avoid combing or too much manipulation. I don't use any type of spritz or holding spray, but if it is necessary, use a light holding spray as a finisher.

I must admit I have not been able to get day two hair out of this style. The two times I've tried, it was a frizzy mess. I recommend repeating these steps every night.

Also, it is common for us natural curlies to have two textures. Here's a previous post and comments that I did about dual textures that may give you some tips on how to work with it.

-Good Luck!
5 Responses:

Thanks for this post. I think that i might need to blow my hair out some too to make this work. BTW...good to have you back!


I wouldn't recommend blow drying before hand. The style is supposed to be fast and easy and not damaging to hair, so blow drying it would defeat that purpose.

I would recommend the person tries the style wet, or atleast after spraying with a leave in conditioner. That smoothes my hair out. I am transitioning so my ends are straight and the curly fro works well for me.

I don't use rollers, I just do the twist and tuck because that makes the curls tighter. But I make sure to coil the last inch to inch and a half of hair around my finger. Then I curl up the twist and carefully slip end off my finger before I tuck. The end slips off easy because it is wet and smoothed by my fingers.

After trial and error I found that I get the best results when I don't pick or handle the ends of the fro after the twists are undone. I just put my fingers through the hair and massage the roots to cover the parts. I use my hands and fingers to "mess up" the fro a bit and I might use a pick the roots to just lift the hair, not comb it.

I agree with you that my hair looks better at the end of the day because I think the hair expands or something. I can get it to last 3 days. On the second day the hair is looser and hangs down more. On the third day I can get a really natural looking puff.

I use shea butter with coconut oil (3 parts shea butter to 1 part coconut oil, with a few drops of tea tree oil as a preservative and some fragrance added). I'm going to try using crisco instead of shea butter as suggested on this blog because the shea butter smells no matter how much fragrance I put into the mixture. It starts to smell bad after I put it in my hair. I apply the butter by melting a bit in my hands (half a dime size) and then patting and smoothing it into each section I'm going to twist. I do 10 twists (6 in the back, 4 in the front).


I too think this style blossoms throughout the day.. I am LOVING the style more at 6 pm versus 8 am..shame shame cause guess what? Gotta tie it up for that same look tomorrow..but you do have to know which products will work best for your hair..leave in conditioners are all I really need but I've tried different products to see what other looks I can get. I like to think I got lucky with my first try of it but it can take time.

I wouldn't recomment blow drying either because you might get some too straight pieces.


I guess I should've explained my blow drying method in more detail ;)

I like to style my hair while dry to add maximum length the curl. When the hair is styled while wet, it usually shrinks 4-6 inches. So this is why I blow dry first.

I blow my hair out with a nozzled blow dryer on medium cool temperature. I don't use high heat, brush or comb. I just lightly grab section by section and blow from root to end. This stretches and dries the hair without the damaging effects of a regular blow dry.

The goal is not to get the hair bone straight but more of a blow out afro look. Then I proceed to apply my product of choice, twist, and roll. When I add the product, I just glaze the tips of my fingers and apply to each section.

This results in an elongated curly fro (and no heat damage or straight). The key is to use cool or warm heat.


Hi there, I've been lurking on your site but wanted to share my experience.

She may want to try to blow dry her hair straight first, she didn't mention she does this so I will assume she doesn't. Since she has two different types of curls this will ensure she's working with the same hair texture all around. It also helps if you try these styles on clean hair since it takes much better.

And try the flexi-rods in a diameter smaller than what you normally try, this will allow the curls to relax throughout the day and lose the initial tightness.

Bantu knots are another option.

As mentioned by the other commenters, avoid combing or over manipulating.

Again, these are my thoughts and what works best for moi. :) Results will depend on individual hair type and texture.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments