It's All In The Technique

Tags:
While speaking with one of my co-workers today, I was inspired to do this post. We were discussing the importance of training the curls and common myths associated with creating curls. I was very impressed that she was so informed because this is something that I've been talking about for so long, but at times feel like I am talking to myself.

So many people ask me how do I get my hair to naturally curl. I get questions like "Do you have a texturizer", What's your hair type". Or sometimes they make statements like, "My texture is not like that" or "My hair doesn't curl". The truth is that most anyone can create curls with almost any hair texture -It really is all in the technique.

I'll admit, texture is important, but it's not everything. And the right products go hand in hand, but the real key to achieving that defined curly look lies in the technique. It mention technique, but there are magical steps. It's a matter of finding the right combination that works for your hair, i.e. products and styling method (Shingling, Fingerstyling, Curlisto).

However, here are some things you absolutely must stop doing today if you want that wash and go curly look.

-Stop combing and brushing your hair. This takes out the natural curl pattern. Try finger combing and watch your curls define. Or if you have to, use a wide tooth comb. I stopped brushing in April and my curls have NEVER been more defined.

-Don't towel dry or pat your hair. This causes frizziness. It's best to apply product to wet hair to lock in the curl pattern.

-Don't apply product to all over your head at once. Instead opt for applying product section by section. Similar to the Shingling or Curlisto method

-Don't touch hair until it is completely dry. Diffusing hair with a medium temperature blowdryer is my method of choice, but hair can be dried via hooded dryer or simply air dried.
8 Responses:

I'm afraid if I don't comb my hair, it will look like cotton candy in the front, and loose curls in the back (not a good look)...I want to try it, but I just can't seem to do it. My hair is multi textured (3c/4a/4b in order from back to front...weird), and it would work for the 3c/4a, but that 4b...I don't know if it will make it.


Great post! I didn't start seeing true definition in my coils/curls until I began the secioning method and starting finger-detangling (thanks to you!) my hair in the shower.

Thanks for all the great how-to's!


My hair is curly. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. In the summertime, I rocked wash n go's every day. I would condition and use aloe vera gel and go about my business.

But now that it is cold, I only co-wash about once a week. During the week, I simply twist it up at night. In the morning, I undo the twists, get in the shower so that the steam puffs my hair up a bit, fluff and go.

Do you think this will have an advrese effect on my curls?


LOL @ cotton candy BCU

girl, i was scared too especially since I didn't think my texture would lead to anything curly. But I tried it & seriously, my hair is visibly curlier than it was before. Its all about finger combing.


I am so glad I stumbled on your blog. I am in the process of transitioning and I am taking this time to learn all I can about caring for my hair. I look forward to "seeing" the natural state of my hair...it has been a long time coming! Great post! I will return!


I totalli agree UC because when I bother my hair is when my curls spread out more instead of remain defined. but also I noticed that the more moisture I give my hair the better.


A friend sent me your link a couple of weeks ago and I've been following it ever since. I switched from a "relaxed" hair of 16 years back to my "curly" state a month ago and it's been an experience.

I discovered the frizzy look a couple of weeks ago when I set a brush to my hair. Point noted! Now I just put some curl mousse and protectant let the hair air dry and VOILA, a good hair day.


I would like to see a post of 4b texture hair that can make the curls/kinks pops. My hair is 4b and there are visible tight curls when wet, but not sure what products will help it stay that way especially on this texture.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments