Letters To UC: Products and Twistouts


"Hello, I have 4b maybe 4C hair. What can I use for twist outs? I have just started going natural and really need help."

Hi Julie,

For Type 4 hair, you need a balance of moisture and hold in order to create perfect twist sets or any style for that matter. So a few products I recommend are Cantu Shea Butter for hold (and a little moisture) but you also need an added moisturizer like Shea Butter or Crisco (like I use). I find that a combination of products works best on type 4 hair to achieve desired results. Most products provide the important benefits of the hold, but they are lacking in moisturizer which is also a key component. I also recommend Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and/or the Baby Buttercreme. However, there are many other products out there that can give you great results, the key is to find the right balance between the moisture and hold.

-UC
4 Responses:

Whenever I twist my hair I used Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel. I LOVE this stuff because it has coconut oil in it so it provides not only great hold but moisture as well. Here's the product's website:

http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/lock_twist.htm


And you can buy it at Wal-Mart, CVS, or any beauty supply store


I also find that a dime size amount of setting lotion for the entire head helps and also doing twists on wet hair after washing using a mix of butters and a tiny bit of gel works very well. As long as you don't mess with the twists after you take them down it will last up to a week. If the hair gets dry during the week then put a quarter size of moisturizer in your palm and spread over the entire head.

Another tip is to start unraveling your twists from the bottom and not really touching the roots. also don't separate each twist more than 2 times. All of this prevents frizz and it looking like a puffy cloud.


Hey another really good product that I've just discover is Twists n Locs HONEY WAX with the shea butter and aloe. It's $3.99(@local beauty supply), it smells good and my twists are shiny and soft. It holds the hair without feeling crunchy.


I would recommend Qhemet's Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. I have the same texture hair and it craves moisture BADLY! Qhemet's is great for holding twists and has healthier ingredients. I used to use Miss Jessie's and loved the Butercreme for my texture. Who's photo is that. Her hair is TO DIE FOR!!!!


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments