Word of The Day: Channeling



Channeling /chan′əl ing / noun.


The act or practice of serving as a medium or a conduit.

When I become bored with my hair, (which occurs every other day), I often look to my favorite celebrities like Tracee Ellis, Janelle Monae, Corrine Bailey Ray, etc for inspiration on my next hair style. I guess that is probably the most fabulous part of having naturally curly hair-It's so versatile. See you can easily alter your hair without cutting or sitting 4 hours in the salon. So this week, I have decided to channel some of my favorite celebrities to help cure this boredom.

Last year, Janelle Monae was my muse, so I rocked Janelle inspired up dos ALL the time. I must admit, I wore them so much that I vowed not to put another updo in my hair-AGAIN. But it was lots of fun and not to mention-a great way to protect my hair.

Buns are easy to create and a great option for old hair. The only thing you really need are open hair pins and a few bobby pins. Gently sweep the hair to the back, overlap, pin, and you're done!

Keep in mind that while channeling, you have to throw your own spin into the mix. Channeling is just drawing inspiration from another, so you don't have to get caught up on being exact...just similar...and most importantly have fun. Today, I am channeling Corrine Bailey Ray...so I will try post the pics tomorrow or this week sometime.



15 Responses:

The hair is really haute. I remembered the first time you posted this look--yeah, me and your blog go way back. And I miss the old Janelle.


Ooh, I loves it! Do share what products you used to achieve this look. Gorgeous!


Omgoshhh, I was just searching online to see if someone could do a tutorial on how Janelle does this look! It looks amazing on you!
Is there anyway you can do a many tut on how you did this beauty?

Whether you can or can't, it looks great! Thanks for sharing.


that's a cute style. I never saw anyone try that.


That's a cute style. I never saw anyone try that.


oooo, i just did a post on her! i love j. monae. really want to mimic some of her updo's once my hair grows out...


J.Monae is amazing and UC u know ur hair is on point always! Loves it. I have to try this hair style


I love it UC


You look absolutely gorgeous.


Oooh! I like! That style is really pretty on you.


I like it a lot. I can't wait until you post the tutorial because I would love to know how to do this. Did you use something to stuff it or did you just tease it?


I like it a lot. I can't wait until you post the tutorial because I would love to know how to do this. Did you use something to stuff it or did you just tease it?


I'm really loving this o you...I must try this!


:O Beautiful! Your hair is banging in that up-do. I really can't wait for your tutorial.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments