My Top Recession Friendly Products


Ok ladies, I have officially accepted the fact there we're in a recession which means we have to be a little more wiser and frugal when choosing products. I was just in my favorite place- Target with a couple of bottles of Bumble and B, when I had this epiphany. Spend $24 per bottle, I think not. So I took a huge sigh and kindly put them back. See long gone are the days of plopping $50 to $100 on products. So as my supply of good stuff dwindle, I am searching for recession friendly alternatives to keep my head right.

Trust me, you don't have to spend a fortune on products or have weekly trips to the salon in order to look good. So, it's time to dust off the old reliables and put them back in to use. Instead of the $24 potions, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and picked up the following:

Crisco $2.00 Benefits: moisture, styling
Extra Virgin Olive Oil $3.99 Benefits: moisture, deep conditioning
Aloe Vera Gel $2.00 Benefits: shea aloe, styling
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner $4.99 Benefits: styling

So for $13, I got all the products and ingredients that I need to keep my hair looking fabulous. Now, I am not saying that you have to give up the good stuff, but these are great alternatives and will give the same results.

What are some of your cheapies but goodies? Please share...
10 Responses:

Crisco is the ish. Ever since you mentioned it last year, I've been coating my hair with it. I thought you were crazy at first, but this really work. When I told my mom about it, she laughed because she used to use Crisco on my hair when I was a child. Thanks for that tip, UC.


castor oil and glycerin are pretty great. you can get the small bottle at pharmacies or beauty supply stores for under $3, or the larger bottle at health food stores for around $8 (which gives you more bang for your buck). i also really love fantasia ic gel which is about $3.99 wherever i see it sold. these all last for a long time too!


I love coconut oil in general, but especially Vatika oil, which I get at the Indian stores for around $3. I also love using rosewater facial sprays for my hair. I'm currently using one by Reviva labs that has rosewater, glycerin, aloe, and various herbs that was $4 at vitacost.com. My new all in one product for deep conditioning, leave in, detangler, etc is Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol. That stuff is fantastic and I got it at Dollar General for about $2. Those are my favorite cheapies right now.


Great post - still not too sure about the Crisco but I love some Cantu Leave-In :o)


I always wanted to try the Cantu. My cheapies right now are Hask n Placenta for deep conditioning, Lutrasilks for moisturizing and deep conditioning, v05 for co-washing and coconut oil for moisturizing and oiling my scalp.


My hair loves Herbal Essences Totally Twisted conditioner. I know it's not curly girly friendly but it works for me. After spending money on expensive conditioners, I'm happy that my hair and I could agree on something budget friendly. I still haven't tried crisco.

Wow, I can't believe it's been 6 months already.


ok is there someting wrong with me? because i have NEVER spent 25 dollars for ANY beauty product. lol. i couldnt see myself doing it. i have never bought anything for my hair more then 8.00 and i was pretty dang P.O'd about THAT. lmaooo. am i cheap? iunno.
but this was a great post. right now i am using shea butter, and a mix of oils. but i was in the dollar store the other day and there was some pink oil moisturizer. it cost like 5.00 and i wasnt trynna buy it. lol. but right next to it. i saw the dollar store brand. 1.00. and its pink and GREAT!!. looool. whodda thought?


Crisco is great stuff!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything else!!!

I have now added honey to mine!!!
Great economical post!


Hey ladies! I really wish I could contribute to this list...HA! because I tend to splurg when it comes to my beauty supplies, recession or not!

I thought long and hard about it and actually Dr. Bonner's Lavender Liquid Soap (Approx $9 for 16 ounces) is something I can no longer live without, I wash my hair every two weeks and man! That soap washes all the dirt, oil and yuck right out (IN ONE WASH!!)!! It is also my body wash too! So I save a little there.

But I still can't live without my $8 KeraCare Oil Sheen...sorry! :-)


I'll say Suave Humectant is one of my favorite budget friendly products. I'll also go to the Dollar Tree and load up on VO5 and White Rain conditioners so I can use them in my co-washes, or mix them up with some oils (sometimes an egg) to make my DCs. Even found some La Bella gel on the 10 for $10 special (only bought one of course).


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments