OCM -Oil Cleansing Method

Tags:
What is OCM? OCM stands for Oil Cleansing Method-it is a alternative method for cleansing the face with a mixture of olive and castor oils. The theory behind this method is that traditional soaps and cleansers cause the skin to produce more oil, which only leads to the formation of pimples or acne.

Many supporters of this method boast benefits such as fewer blackheads, less acne, and softer, more dewy skin. I am currently using this method and I can attest to softer skin and my infamous dry patches around my nose are gone. This is my second week with great results, so I plan to continue.

How to mix it? Basically, most people use a mixture of 70/30 EVOO/Castor Oil. This is equivalent to 3 teaspoons EVOO and 1 teaspoons Castor Oil. The extra virgin olive oil acts as the moisturizing agent while the castor oil aids in cleansing the skin. This percentage can be adjusted to meet the needs of your skin.

How to apply it? Pour the mixture into your hands. Using your finger tips, gently massage the oil into your face for about 2 minutes-paying special attention the greasiest parts of your face. Taking your time is essential to allow the oils to seep deep into your pores to extract dirt and impurities. Next, drape a warm washcloth over your face and allow the steam to penetrate the skin until the cloth is cool. The steam further extract impurities. Warning: Do not use a very hot washcloth. Also cold wash cloths are ineffective. So, just like Goldilocks, the cloth must be just right.

Once cooled, use the washcloth to wipe away the oil, dirt and dead skin cells. Wet the wash cloth again with warm water and wipe again. Repeat as necessary. Your skin will love you for it.

Last week, I added a little brown sugar to my oil to exfoliate. Wow, what a feeling. All I can say is goodbye to my $26 MAC Refiner and hello cha-ching!
13 Responses:

Thumbs up girl.


Hi! Love your blog! Okay I've been searching high and low to purchase castor oil and I've had no luck. I'm from NYC but beauty supply stores onyl have the artificial version of castor oil (with mineral oil, etc) Where can I find the pure castor oil??


YIKES!!! dont do this if you are acne prone. I am STILL trying to get my skin back to normal after doing this for two weeks I completely broke out. Works for some but not everyone.


yeah i dont think ill b tryin ti bcuz i have oily skin. but it sounds good tho :)


@ Anonymous, I'm sorry to hear about your mishap with this method. As with anything, it's not going to work for everyone.

I started using this method after noticing an increase in acne on my face. Now that I am getting older my skin is growing more susceptible to breakouts and the traditional stuff was not cutting it. Not even the expensive stuff.

However, my recommendation for anyone who wants to try this is to do some research like I did before trying it. If your skin is prone to acne or you are under the care of a dermatologist, then this may not be the best method. This is my second week and I am so totally LOOOOOVING the results on my face. My skin is softer, has more shine and like I said I had the ugliest dry patches around my nose-they are gone.


you can find organic castor oil at vitamin shoppe.


hmm interesting may give it a try.


I love the OCM! I broke out when I tried using jojoba as my oil. I now use a base of grapeseed oil, a little EVOO, and a few drops of laurel and tea tree essential oils (for my acne).


I've used OCM many a time! During the winter I did it DAILY, right now I probably do it no more than twice a week. It really does help stop most acne and helps make your face beautiful. You do have to play with it and get a mixture that fits you. Mine was usually 65% Castor and 35% Olive Oil. I've heard you can sub Olive Oil for other oils but I'm a BIG Fan of OCM. It is time consuming, takes longer than washing and rinsing with my normal face wash (Cetaphil)but it is worth it in the END!


Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try this, but was afraid b/c of some people's bad experiences. Do you use reg castor oil from the drug store or the cold pressed kind? How many times per week do u use OCM? And do u use some other type of cleanser during the week or only OCM? Sorry for all the questions, but I've super oily skin and have been looking for an alt cleansing meth.


To the anonymous who said it doesn't work for acne prone skin- you should google OCM. Then check out acne.org. It has a lot of great info. If you are acne prone you should up the amount of castor oil b/c that is the cleansing agent. If you have dry skin you should up the amount of olive oil. HTH.

I got my castor oil from iherb along with a bunch of other stuff I couldn't really find where I live.


i'm in nyc and i found my castor oil in a pharmacy (duane reade or rite aid, most likely). you could also get it at whole foods, gnc, vitamin shoppe or any health food store. there are A LOT of health food stores in manhattan.

i tried the OCM with jojoba as my major oil and wasn't impressed with the results. i will try it again but with EVOO this time. thanks for the tip.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments