Question O' The Day: Knots

"I have a head full of knots so it took me about an hour to detangle (I am surprise I still have hair left). How did I get them and how do I prevent this from happening again?" -TNT

Knots, ahh-the uninvited guests that keep coming back. This is what I think about when I think of knots. What causes them? Dryness. How do we get rid of them? My strategy is to fend them off with moisture...lots of it. Making sure that your hair is adequately moisturized every day is the key to preventing knotted ends and ease the detangling process.

The detangling process is extremely important and unfortunately can make or break a curly girl. I have seen many naturals give up just because they hate the detangling process. But it really doesn't have to be an unpleasant process. I have found that detangling in the shower is the best way to detangle. It's fast and painless.
I start in the shower while I am co-washing. Then I section my hair into two halves. With the conditioner still in my hair, I run my fingers from root to ends-through each knot gently working it out. I also hold my hair under the force of the water. I find this is very helpful with easing the kinks out. Here's a link to a prior post on finger detangling.

This should be enough to completely detangle the hair, and may take one or two times to get it right. But if not you can always use a wide tooth comb to assist...or if you have to, use a brush like the Denman. After detangling in the shower your hair will be ready to style and you should find that your hair will have less frizz and more curl definition.
Another major help with detangling is to do a deep conditioning with EVOO. I don't know what it is about the EVOO, but it makes it even easier to glide through the kinks.

Follow these steps and your uninvited guests (lol) should go away. However, I just want to reiterate the need for moisture. Adequate moisture will almost completely do away with those knotted ends. Try using a cream base moisturizer like Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and seal that with Shea Butter or Crisco. Inexpensive and works like a charm.

Good luck girly!

7 Responses:

Conditioners with Behentrimonium Methosulfate or Behentrimonium Chloride should help..Try Herbal Essences Hello Hydration...Check out curlynikki.com for more info.


Good advice UC. I just want to add that I've been trying the finger detangle method for about six months and it works for my 4z (haha) hair. So, it's good advice, I hope the young lady uses it. You're a curl saver, chica.


Good info, but despite treating my hair like its made of diamonds the knots wont go away. Im starting to believe its simply apart of my texture...sigh

WWW.tamandsam1742.blogspot.com


I have found that using actual shea butter or my shea butter and coconut oil mix on my hair after washing makes my hair incredibly soft. I am type 4 and I do not detangle unless my hair is wet. I get my knots mostly if I wear out styles. When I keep my hair out it gets dryer faster and knots up more easily. When i have my hair in twists, braids or rows I don't really get knots.


Sometimes knots can mean its time for a trim too. But definitely look at dryness first.


Hey UC, long time chica ;D...Thanks for this post because I notice whenever my hair is out (mostly all the time) I have been getting knots. Good tips!


I de-tangle in the shower, too, just as you suggested. But certain hairstyles will make my hair very tangled (slicked back hair with a messy bun is one of them), and though I love those styles, the process afterward leaves me drained and frustrated. I thought maybe another conditioner would help, but wasn’t sure of where to look. Thanks for suggesting EVOO. I will definitely look into it!

Stephanie Taylor
Promotions and Account Representative
www.thecoilreview.com


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments