5 Questions With Curl Junkie, Founder Marsha Coulton


I recently had the pleasure to go one on one with Marsha Coulton, Curl Junkie's founder. For those of you who may not be familiar with the line-let's get aquainted.

Curl Junkie-the name says it all-was started in 2006 by this Brooklyn based entreprenuer, who like many of us, grew frustrated with many of the "curly" products on the market. So, she started this line of curl friendly, natural products that are taking the market by storm.

I recently had the opportunity to try some of the conditioners in the line, and from the first use-I became hooked. They're hydrating, smooth, and have certainly become a staple in my conditioning routine. I wanted to know more-so I reached out to Marsha to get more information on this addictive line of curl products.

On what inspired her to start the Curl Junkie line

"I've always loved haircare products and analyzing ingredients, but it was when I was in beauty school (wearing my hair natural) that I noticed that when it came time for everyone to do everyone else's hair, there were very few options for my hair type. I began to "specialize" in curly hair in school (if you can that early) and people began telling me I should make my own line. That was what put the idea in my head, but I didn't follow it until about a year later..."

On Selecting Curl Junkie Ingredients
"I'm actually looking for what's going to perform the best for what I'm looking to achieve and to find ingredients that are as safe and naturally as possible for what I'm making. It seemed to work out that many of these ingredients are delicious"

On how Curl Junkie differs from the other products

"I don't like to point out differences as I respect my other curly lines that are out there. I will say that I think my products have a reputation for delivering much needed moisture to dry hair and for having many different solutions for all types of waves, curls and coils depending on how you like to wear your hair. So, the line allows you to be flexible in your hair maintenance and styling choices"

On new products coming on board

"Yes...haha...but they are still in the development/testing stages and are probably still a few months away (so I don't know if that counts as soon :-)"
One piece of advice, what would it be?

"Keep your hair clean and as moisturized/conditioned as possible to produce the best curl. Try not to over manipulate the hair in terms of combing or brushing, as sometimes depending on your hair type, this can break up your curl pattern and it can take days to recover (this happened to me after a haircut!)"


Ladies have you tried this line? If so what are your favorites. If not, you're missing out on a good fix. Visit Curl Junkie...

5 Responses:

Is this a black owned business?


Yes it is...you can view a picture of Marsha at http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/spotlight/spotlight-marsha-coulton


I've been itching to try this line of products. I've heard so many great things about them.


I've heard good stuff about Curl Junkie but I still haven't bought anything, I've been suck in my own routine for the last few months I'm just trying to get rid of all the excess products I have around!

Def will try it soon, I know Mane and Chic swears by the stuff and a thumbs up from UC so I have to check it out!


I certainly have to check this product out. Where can I buy it?


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments