An Open Letter...Update

Yesterday, I reposted an open letter that was submitted earlier in the year by transitioner and UC reader, Prudence. Well, she has been gracious enough to contribute an update on her road to natural.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, (did I say LOVE) my natural hair. The transition,
although difficult, was worth it. I feel like I have conquered the beast. I am
no longer afraid of my thick-fabulousness. That's not saying that I don't have
bad hair days....I do, but you learn to manage through those days. Natural hair
has taught me so many lessons that have nothing to do with hair. Being a curly
girl means that you have to prepare overnight for the look for the next day. But
you could get up the next day and your hair doesn't fall perfectly. With curls,
it is impossible to predict exactly where every strand will fall. So there is a
certain amount of spontaneity (spelling) that I must embrace when I face my hair
each day. The result is that I have beautifully fabulous hair that is perfectly
imperfect, in fact, that is a part of the beauty. Natural hair is a process in
self growth. I have learned to feel good about myself in my purest form. That is
freeing. I'm screaming from the top of my lungs....FREEDOM!!!!!!

Lessons about natural hair

1. Conquer your fear: As a relaxed woman, I knew
what my hair could and could not do. I had no idea of how to manage my natural
texture. Truth be told, I didn't really remember what my natural texture was. I
had to be willing to embrace the transition process to even find that out.

The lesson: Sometimes you have to embrace a difficult process to find
out what you're truly made of.

2. Prepare - Good looking (read healthy)
hair (natural or not) doesn't happen overnight or by accident. It takes
preparation. So, I have to think about the products that I put in/on my hair and
each night, I think about my style for the next day.

The lesson: In order to have the best in life, I must prepare. Good, positive things don't happen by chance. They require deliberate choices.

3. Acceptance: Even with all that preparation, a curly girl must have the ability to accept that all that preparation will not guarantee a 'perfect' result. The curl may not fall into place exactly as you imagined it.

The lesson: Be ready to be spontaneous and accept all of life, even if it's not what you/I prepared for.

4. Have a back-up plan: Every girl must have a 'all else fails' hair-do.
For the relaxed chick that style is often a pony tail but the curly girl must
have a wash-and-go or a fierce wig or that product-that-works-every time, that
she can always count on.

The lesson: you already know it......have a backup plan.

5. Work your sexy: no words necessary.

I think I'm really getting India's song now in a different way.

I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within



Thanks Pru!
2 Responses:

She's even more naturally beautiful in person..


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments