Meet | Candace of Goddess Zuri

When did you go natural and what inspired you to do so?

I’d always had beautiful, long, permed hair, and I loved it…up until I was about a junior in college. Around this time, I developed strong feelings that a short natural crop would express the sassiness and flyness in me so much accurately. I thought about it for quite some time, but I messed up when I started sharing this idea with friends and family members. After talking to many of them, I was convinced to keep my long hair. Then my senior year hit and I was about to turn 21. Natural hair was still on my mind, so I decided that as a present to myself for my 21st birthday, I would chop all of my hair off. And I did!

Have you faced opposition from your peers and/or family about your hair?

Before I even cut it, I had a bunch of people in my ear telling me not to do it. My friends told me I would surely miss my hair. My brother told me I would look like a boy and my parents’ feared that I wouldn’t be able to get a good job after college. I went along with them for a little while but made a decision about two years later to cut it off. A short time after I did, the very people who told me not to do it ended up digging it.

If so, what has been your method of handling it?

After cutting my hair, my sassiness and confidence grew. It didn’t matter what people thought about my hair because I loved it. And after people started seeing that I loved it and didn’t care about what anyone else thought, they started to love it on me too.

Your hair is beautiful! What is your current regimen to keep your tresses healthy?

Thanks lady! I use Ojon products (shampoo, conditioner and oil moisturizer) and well as Jane Carter Solutions. I’ve tried a million products, as most natural bellas do, and these are the product that works well with my hair. I wear my hair wild and free, so I braid it at night and take the braids out in the morning to give it a free, crinkly look. I wash my hair once a week and moisturize it every other day.

What do you love most about your hair?

Everything! I love that my hair gives me a unique look. I love that nobody can ever tell when I’m having a bad hair day. And I love the versatility of my hair. I can wear it wild and sassy or tamed and elegant.

Deciding whether I wanted to keep it short or grow it out. I absolutely loved my short crop because it looked great in the summer time with big hoop earrings and a tank top. I loved it because it was easy to maintain. But I have a friend who went natural around the same time I did, and she never cut her hair. Now hers is long and beautiful. I got a little jealous, so I decided to grow mine out.

What advice do you have for the newly natural ladies?

Love it and embrace it. People can sense when you’re not satisfied with yourself; any part of yourself. So, if you’re not 100% confident in your new do and you ask yourself daily, “why did I do this?” fake your confidence until you develop it. Or find a little bit of confidence from somewhere. The number 1 accessory that you MUST have with natural hair is confidence.


What prompted you to start your own online business?

I had just gone natural, and I was confident about my natural hairdo, but still had a few reservations in the beginning. So, I wanted to outwardly express the confidence that I was building on the inside. I wanted a few tees that glorified natural hair. I diligently searched online to find some unique, funky tees that matched my new natural beauty identity, but couldn’t find one that I wanted to wear. So, I decided to design my own.

Now, the number 2 accessory that you MUST have with natural hair, in my opinion, is a pair of bold earrings. So, I decide to design some of those too.

What plans do you have for your site in the future?

I want to expand the site offerings to long sleeve tees and hoodies. I’ve also had numerous requests to make the tees in bigger sizes.

Where did the name "Goddess Zuri" originate?

I’ve been referring to myself as a goddess for a while, and I think all women are goddesses. So, I definitely wanted that word to be included in the name of my business. Zuri means beautiful in Swahili. So, I decided to create Goddess Zuri, goddess of natural beauty, to be the ambassador of my site. The woman in my logo is Goddess Zuri.

Is there anything else you'd like my readers to know about "Goddess Zuri"?

Of course I want them to check out www.goddesszuri.com and tell ten friends about the site. I also recently started a blog www.freethegoddess.com that (hopefully) encourages women to release their inner goddess.


UC ♥ Candace!
3 Responses:

Great Interview, you are really inspiring me to go nature. Thanks for the inspiration Candace!


Thanks Candace! I have been natural for 13 years and some of my family members still have a problem with it. It's so annoying but I have learned to ignore it. I always encourage women with natural hair. If I see a sista with natural tresses I tell her I love her hair because in our society it's hard to maintain that confidence. Thanks again! -Tiffany


Great interview! I really enjoyed reading this. I totally agree with "confidence" being the no. 1 accessory.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments