Best Curl Crémes Under $20


Written by: Tinea Mathis Payne

So you can’t afford Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding ($38, 16 oz.). Though it may seem as if a big tub of curling goop can be quite expensive, there are cheaper alternatives to achieve your naturally curly styles. And some of these crémes can be found in your local drugstore.

Unlike gels, crèmes allow for a more touchable hold that resists humidity while enhancing curl and defining texture.

Of course, not all cheap fixes are near the caliber of some elite curling crèmes on the market, but they will tide you over while you try to make ends meet.

Value tip: Do the math. Think price per ounce instead.

Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

$17/16 oz./NaturallyCurly.com (click link to view)

Attributes

Defining

Fast Drying

Medium to Heavy Hold

Conditioning

Pliable

Elongating

Rated “Best of the Best” by NaturallyCurly.com, this organic curling crème has created quite a buzz among curlies everywhere. This sweet-scented, concentrated curling “custard” has the texture of a gel, but smooths through hair like a crème/pomade. It works well at elongating and stretching out curl and dries quickly to a touchable textured style. It works best alone or with Kinky-Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner.


Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Finishing Cream

±$6/7.6oz./various national retailers

Attributes

Defining

Reduces Frizz

Fast Drying

Lightweight Hold

Pliable

With a rating of 6.8 on totalbeauty.com, this finishing cream is a very cheap fix if you need quick, touchable curls. With its lightweight hold, it works great for air-dried styles or paired with a diffuser. It has a thinner, pomade-like texture, though applies like a gel. The result is soft, touchable, textured hair. It also has a violet fragrance that lasts (for those who like to smell good, too). This curl crème can be applied to wet hair to start your look or dry hair to ward off frizz or reset the style. It also works nicely under a heavier gel.

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Curling Créme

$5.99/6 oz./Sally Beauty

Attributes

Defining

Reduces Frizz

Curl Enhancing

Fights Humidity

Medium Hold

If you want extra curl definition and more hold, this curling crème provides. It softens the texture while defining it—without a gel feel. It boosts limp curls while smoothing unruly, tight ones. It’s texture is like a pomade as a little goes a long way and is best used alone or with other Beyond the Zone products. Works great for wash and go styles straight out of the shower. Sally Beauty shoppers online rate this crème at about 4.5 out of 5 stars.


SoftSheen Carson Care Free Curl Gold Instant Activator

$5.99/16 oz./Walgreens.com

Attributes

Defining

Reduces Frizz/Volume

Curl Enhancing

Fights Humidity

Conditioning

Lightweight Hold

Silkening

If curl activators aren’t too taboo to you, this oil-free, liquid gel has a crème feel unlike most gels and fits the bill when it comes to defining and moisturizing parched curls. For its price, you get quite a bit of the frizz-reducing, texture-silkening activator which can be used alone or with other products. It can be used on wet hair to create a silkier, softer and manageable curl or on dry hair to refresh or redo your curly style. It’s also a lot of bang for your buck. Walgreen's shoppers online give it around a 4.5 out of 5 rating.


SAMY Salon Systems Big Curls Curl Defining Cream

$4.99/5.75 oz./Walgreens.com

Attributes

Defining

Reduces Frizz

Curl Enhancing

Softening

Lightweight to Medium Hold

With a rating of about 4.5 out of 5, online reviewers like SAMY for its lightweight curling defining cream. It comes in a small, travel-sized bottle, but don’t let that fool you, as it is right up the alley of inexpensive curling crèmes. This product works for most types of curl and lasts all day.

(Price comparisons are made at values of under $20 per 16 oz.)
18 Responses:

I'll have to look in to these. But I have tried Kinky Kurly and it definitely was not fast drying...or at least for me it wasn't.


This list was exactly what I needed! Thank you!


Kinky Curly is actually $17 for 8oz and $32 for 16 oz. It takes hella long to dry and I didnt even use very much.


I would NEVER call Kinky Curly quick-drying.


Another good thing to use that's not that expensive and can be found in CVS or beauty supply stores is eco-style gel and its alcohol free!!! You can get it for about $3.00.!!!! It holds my curls well and dries fast!! It's not sticky like kinky curly either.

Towanna


Kink-Curly is quick drying. You should watch how much you put on. If you goop it on of course it isn't going to dry fast. This is the only product I use so I'm probably using it better than all of you.


@jlowman1, according to NaturallyCurly.com's CurlMart, it is sold for $17 online and the only size listed is the 16 oz.

Also, for those of you who've experienced KCCC as slow-drying, it does depend on how much you use. Some users only need a dab or half-dollar size for their curls. This also depends on the type of curl you have.

Tighter curls may require more product, depending on the look you want. Of course, more of any product would make it slow-drying.

On a personal note, I find it to dry quickly on my 3b/3c curls. Other users I've interviewed with similar or looser hair textures have also noted that only a little bit of KCCC works well. I can't say the same would be true for very tight hair textures.


On NaturallyCurly.com's CurlMart it lists the 16 oz jar for 30 dollars, I think you were mistaken.


It says 16 oz after the paragraph, you gotta click down in the quantity box, it shows the 8 oz size for the lesser amount and when you change it to 16 oz, its $30...


QP-Feels Like Silk Styling Gel ($3.99 any beauty supply that sells QP products) combined with Parvenu-Leave In Conditioner ($3.99 walmart) Is the best curl definer and moisterizing system EVER. I have pencil size curls and all I do is put those two on my hair when its wet and defuse with a blow dryer. My hair is NEVER crispy or fizzy. TRUST ME BECAUSE I USED TO BE A PRODUCT JUNKY AND THESE TWO PRODUCTS PUT AN END TO MY SEARCH. I AM A FAITHFUL CUSTOMER OF THESE TWO PRODUCTS.


I second the Eco gel. First I rub Shea butter on my ends then apply eco gel on top. It gives me perfect frizz free curls. I've tried them all kinky curly, all miss jessies, beyond the zone, ion, mixed chicks literally all of them.


I took a chance on the HE and i absolutely love it! I'm not big into wash and go's but it's great on my twists. It leaves them soft and it smells really good.


I would like to try the Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly finishing touch cream that was mentioned in this post. So far, all of the reviews I've seen say this product provides softness and hold. None of them say anything about it providing the curl definition of a gel. I bought some today. We'll see if it works on my 3c/4a hair.
Has anyone actually tried this as a curling cream? What were your results?


The Tousle me softly works great. It's great for defining. I like a little more moister so I use my Hawwaiin Silky 14 and 1 spray then the finishing cream. My style lasts all day, smells good, and is touchable!


As if I needed a reason to get my PJism back into full swing!!!! LOL Gotta buy them all and see which one goes with my 4A/B hair.


I recently discovered a superb hair line for growing and keeping long hair. This product line really does wonders for the hair (and does not cost you and arm and a leg). And too, this is the only hair-curl product line which has included in their ingriedients, "the Liquid Gold" for the hair and skin. The product line is called Chatto. You can find out about these ancient-healing essences for hair and skin at Chatto.com.

I think you will be very, very pleased!


I tried the Tousle Me Softly Finishing Touch Cream on top of the other products I use on very wet hair. (I used my spray bottle of water, glycerin, & oil as a leave-in. Then I added watered down Eco Styler Gel for soft hold.) I rubbed a finger full of the Finishing Touch Cream between my hands, smoothed it through then air dried. Results, nice curl definition, soft separated curls, still a little frizzy. I'll try it again maybe without gel and let you know the results. BTW, I couldn't find much info on how this stuff works on African American hair online.


I forgot to mention that I did notice my curls spring up immediately as soon as I added the HE Tousle Me Softly Finishing Cream. I'm not used to using so little product, but it actually did seem to work.


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments