My Keratin Experience

Tags:


My hair before

After


Yesterday I went to get my first Coppola Keratin Smoothing Treatment. After a year of researching, I decided to do just it because I wanted to wear my hair straight this summer without the frustration of battling frizz and humidity. So when my trusted stylist Keenya told me that she was a Coppola Keratin trained professional, I knew it was time.


The Coppola Keratin Treatment is a smoothing system that infuses Keratin into the hair folicle to eliminate 95% of frizz and curl from the hair. It boasts to keep the hair straight and frizz free for up to 3 months.


There are a lot of mixed reviews on this products and a few horror stories, so I wanted to make sure that (1) the product was safe and (2) that it would not damage my natural hair. Also that I was having the service performed by a trusted stylist-check.


Since this is my first experience, I can only blog about the application phase and kill some of those myths and horrible stories I read out on the web. I will continue to blog about the experience as the time passes.


The Application

The whole process only took 3 hours. I was in the salon at 2:30 and out before 5:30. My stylist started by shampooing the hair. Then she completely blow dried my hair and proceeded to apply the keratin in small sections-similar to a relaxer application. She covered my hair with a plastic cap for 25 minutes. Then removed the cap and blow dried my hair again with a paddle brush. During this second blow dry, my hair was noticeably softer and the brush just glided through my hair. She proceed to flat iron my hair in very small sections using heat of approximately 400 degrees. She used the blow dryer and flat iron once more as a finisher for the styling.


As you can see in the photos, my hair is very straight. And over the next 36- 48 hours, I have to keep it straight and prevent any moisture from touching it. So that means no hair pins, ponytails, sunglasses, or anything that will dent or bend the hair. However, I can wrap it, so that's a relief.


In 48 hours, I will return to the salon for her to shampoo and condition my hair. She decided to extend it from the normal 36 hour follow-up appointment to allow more time for the Keratin to settle. I will keep you posted.
11 Responses:

This is extremely interesting UC. Please keep us posted.


I am so glad your doing this because I've been contemplating this for a while...this will be very interesting as my mother and I are both naturals and she has brought this to my attention.


I can't wait for more updates! This is an excellent alternative for those of us who are natural, yet what to wear our hair straight for extended periods of time. BTW, you hair looks awesome girl!


I've been wanting to straighten my hair, and considered the BKT, but that's waaay too much heat for me. It just doesn't sit well with me...


Interesting application process. Can't wait to hear more.

Btw, your hair looks great!


Your hair looks awesome!


did this in december - LOVED it. when i straightened my hair, it stayed straight. when i wet it, the curls had much less frizz and needed much less product. i am definitely doing this again, but i'm waiting until a week or so before my wedding so i can have nice frizz free hair on the wedding day (it's outside by water in the late summer, lol). and after 3-6 months (i'm on month 6) there will be no trace. my hair is basically reverted back to how it was prior, the frizz is back. the only downside to this was that i wanted to straighten my hair all the time since it was so easy to do it and actually lasted through workout sessions. i hope your experience is as good as mine was :)


Hey UC I'm happy for you, we cant know what we want without trying it out. so I'm excited to see your updates :D Your hair looks great


I've tried this in my hair , and it was nice and everyone swore I had gotten a relaxer , the only thing is I guess after awhile I missed my curls , I think its a cool thing to get if your natural and want to feel out your options out . Mine had lasted for exactly 8 months then I saw my original curls come back each time I washed.


Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. Your hair looks wonderful and very healthy. I'll be very interested in the months to follow... I have to admit, I'm one of those scared of any product that will alter my hair for a long period of time. It looks great though!!!


Search Urbancurlz


UrbanCurlz.com on Facebook

Recent Posts

Recent Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Recent Comments